Why Do I Need an Attorney?
There are times, of course, when it?s obviously in your best interest to hire an attorney – for example:
- You have extensive injuries and lost wages from an accident.
- An insurance company denies your claim or tries to underpay it.
- You are being sued.
- There is a dispute about who is at fault.
There are other times, however, when the question of whether you need an attorney is less obvious. For instance:
- If your injuries seem to be minor or nonexistent. If this is true, you probably don’t need an attorney; however, sometimes injuries manifest after the fact, and if you settle too quickly, you may receive less than you need.
- If the insurance company is quick to offer a settlement. In cases where the damage is covered and there are no other losses, this is fine. However, sometimes it’s a ploy by the insurance company to get you to take less money. Once you take the offer, it’s difficult to go back for more, if not impossible.
These are just two examples of situations where it seems on the surface that an attorney is not needed, but in fact hiring an attorney could have significantly altered the outcome in your favor.
The truth is, accidents and personal injury cases are nothing to be trifled with, which is why it’s better to err on the side of caution. This is why we say, “When in doubt, consult an attorney.” At Sutton Slover, an honest personal injury lawyer will evaluate your case free of charge and tell you up front whether you should get him or her involved. For more information, call 404.768.0292.